Friday, July 20, 2007

Beginner's luck

Today the market behaved much like Wed., headed down. This time it's due to GOOG and CAT's earning miss. I used my indicators and did some intraday trades, and hold some calls over the weekend. I keep the trades on the "Simple Portfolio & Trades" link. Maybe due to beginner's luck, these indicators I developed recently continued to give me good buy and sell signals over the general markets. I backdated these indicators to test them, so far, they're quite good. I'll keep working on them to refine them.
  1. I shorted GS again this morning, and covered later for a profit.
  2. I bought DXD again, and sold them for a profit.
  3. Bought IWM puts (Aug 85) and sold them for a profit. The only mistake I made is, I didn't buy early on. I thought there was a bounce after the initial selling, it turned out to be wrong. Then I bought IWM calls(Aug 85) and sold for a profit.
  4. Bought MDY puts (Aug 167) and sold them for a profit. The mistake here, I didn't use a good limit order, it's too high to sell them, and when the market turned, I got nervous and sold at lower price. It's a profit. And I used the same idea, bought and then sold MDY calls (Aug 167) for a profit.
  5. Towards to the end of the market close, I bought IWM and MDY calls again.
  6. There are reasons for holding them over the weekend:
  7. Pro:
  8. Market usually bounced back after a sell off;
  9. We may have a MA Monday to push the market;
  10. VST, market is a little oversold.
  11. S&P500, 1533 areas were triple tops before it broke it last Thursday to 1547, so I expect it to be a strong support.
  12. Con:
  13. In general, this long running bull market will end badly somewhere.
  14. CDO, subprime issues are not going away.

GOOG, CAT and OEX day:

  1. Watching these two stocks and their options, whoever hold on to these puts were rewarded big today.
  2. Whoever were greedy to hold on to these calls before the earning release, were crashing today.
  3. Lessons to be learned.
  4. Never hold big option positions on OEX day. It's more a gambling than trading.

0 comments: